Sketchbook Flip Through

A Year Between the Pages

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been wanting to film a flip-through of this sketchbook for a while, but there was one small problem: I couldn’t find the little mount for my phone that attaches to my tripod. We looked everywhere. Twice. 😂

So, after giving up, we ordered another one for about $6. I’m sure the original will magically appear the next time we move or, more likely, five minutes after the new one arrives!

This sketchbook was about a year in the making. Many of the pages came from Sketchbook Revival, while others simply happened along the way. I really like using my sketchbooks as journals, so they tend to become a mixture of drawing, writing, experimenting, and recording little pieces of my life.

I don’t have a particular formula for where the words go. Sometimes I write wherever there happens to be room. Other times, I try to work the writing into the page so that it becomes part of the composition. Some pages are filled with writing, while others have none at all.

And then there are the little drawings. Those are often the ones I make at the end of the day, sitting in front of the TV with a sketchbook nearby. They may not be important drawings, but somehow they become important because they capture a moment in time.

I think that’s one of the things I love most about sketchbooks. They don’t have to be perfect. They can hold the experiments, the random ideas, the things I’m learning, and the ordinary little moments that might otherwise disappear.

So, here’s a look through a year of pages.

Thanks for watching, and I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

— Eileen