Block Printing

 Block Printing

I've been wanting to play with block printing for a while.  I carved and made some with students when students returned from Covid and I've made stamps but I'm trying to use up some materials we've had sitting around, so the time was perfect to dive in and see if I could make some cards.  My husband and son decided to join in the fun.  This is the process and a video of what we made.  My first block design did not come out very successful, so I tried again.  I learned that you need a simple design that will work well in one color.  Some parts worked nicely, others I would adjust.  It's a fun process and carving the blocks is very relaxing.  We can't wait to try more.

Steps: Sketch your drawing to the size of the block you want to use.  

Go over the lines with pencil.

Then, rub the sheet onto the block and the graphite will transfer onto the block.

Role ink out onto a flat surface or scrap piece of paper.  You want to use a brayer to roll the ink onto the block.


Place the paper you want the image transferred to over the inked plate and rub; we used a flat spoon but the back of your hand works well for this too.

Last, peel the paper and voila, your print transfers to the paper!  






Video of the process!