Habits!

 


This is one of my favorite quotes.

This blog started because I’m excited to show you my summer journal (which is included)… How I just take some time at the end of the day to sketch, doodle, and reflect.  Then, that got me thinking about habits because I was chatting with a friend about our weekend habits and here we are.



First thing you should know is that I'm kind of lazy, not lazy in a lounge around on the couch kind of way, although sometimes I indulge; however, lazy in that I don’t love fussy details, so I cut corners and try to get through somethings quicker so I can do more things I love or feel like.

How do you feel about habits?  Love them? Hate them?

Some of you might, some might not, it’s okay either way. I have a rebellious side too and say @#$% to all of it on occasion, as should we all. 😃


However, mostly I find them kind of freeing -

So I thought I would share some that I/we have, some are very ordinary and others you may not have thought of before. What are some habits you have, especially the unusual or quirky ones? Feel free to share in the comments, you shouldn't have to log in to comment anymore but this would be a good test.

(if you leave a comment, thank you!!!)



We make the coffee the night before and set the timer, it makes us happy to have it waiting for us in the morning.  Mmmmm coffee.



Yoga - this is one that I ebb and flow with but every time I leave my mat I feel so good, refreshed, relaxed!  So, not sure why I ever resist this but there are times when I do. When I practice, I’m happier.
Lists - I am a list maker.  I’ve learned to only put on the list what I can accomplish that day and often things that I’m likely to forget.  It’s easy to think I can conquer the world but alas I cannot and I don’t like feeling overwhelmed.  Here’s another funny, not so funny fact about me… If something’s bothering me I dream about it and not just once but on a repetitive loop, it's terrible!!!  So, then I know it’s the first thing that must get done in the morning because the dreams will persist for days if I don't deal with whatever I've dreamed about.


Remedy if lists overwhelm you: Stop making a list and instead write down everything you accomplished in a day!  I mean everything, you’re amazing and sometimes we need a reminder!  Been there too ;)


Journaling/Reflecting/End of day doodle - I find this very helpful and I’ve tried so many styles! I started this practice years ago with a gratitude journal, then I did Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron who recommends writing three pages every morning. Three full pages of whatever comes to mind. That’s a lot for me, I like writing but not three pages a day.  A year ago, I read The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll - This is less a journal and more a way of making lists of things.  However, I love the concise nature of it and that everything is in one place.  Brilliant and adaptable.  Ultimately, I combine and dip into all of that and more.  You’ll see if you watch the video.

Weekend Habit - We try not to talk about the future on the weekend or days off.  Why?  Sunday’s can be great but they can also be that day where you dread what is coming…  Here’s the thing though, when you’re working 5 days a week, it’s terrible to waste one of those very precious days consumed with stress; therefore, Mark started insisting we don’t talk about the week ahead on Sunday and I have to say that I really appreciate it.  It’s now carried over to days off. 

Staying present is a beautiful thing!


Saturday Habit - Our get out and have fun day!

Sunday Habit - Sunday is a quiet alone time day.  We come together for dinner but the rest of the day is really just a day to yourself to do what you want which is why this is often a day in my art studio, yeah!

Chore Habit - This is in line with the weekend habit and getting all we can out of our days off.  We try and get all the chores done on the workdays.  It can be done but the family has to work together, divide and conquer.  Think about just cleaning toilets on Monday, Tuesday you vacuum, etc. You also need to be flexible both with the outcome and each other.  The benefit - the weekend is way more fun when there’s not a to do list attached.  At least, we think so. 


Meal Habit - Eating good food requires making food.  So, we take time for dinner planning.  We come together and chat about what sounds good and what we'd like to make.  Add items to the existing list of staples we’ve run out of or things we want for breakfast and lunch. Some weeks we are creative, some weeks we make a version of things that are familiar.  I’ve tried lots of things in this arena.  Meal services, recipe lists, cooking ahead, and on and on. In my opinion - It’s all good as long as you use it and enjoy it.  If it doesn't meet those 2 criteria, sorry, it's not working.


Getting real about time with meal prep!  This is the part not enough people talk about.  

It’s really easy to think you’ll have time for a complicated recipe or feel like something

really experimental and get home and only have the energy or mental capacity for

mac and cheese or an omelet (don’t you just love an omelet for dinner), so my

recommendation is think about your schedule and plan meals in line with that.  If I

know it’s a crazy week, plan the simplest and most comforting meals and by

comforting I don’t mean unhealthy (in the winter the crock pot is my friend for a

lovely soup or stew). In the warmer months we love a good Greek salad or

pre-made veggie burgers.

If you're having a hard time coming up with new ideas, try one of the

meal services.  This has gotten us out of many cooking doldrums.  Maybe you’re all

much smarter than I am and you are rolling your eyes right now but this whole

meal planning prep business can create unnecessary tension and stress.

Sleep Habit: - I didn't even know this was a thing until we had Jules and then, WOW!  Children can certainly create a sleep disturbance, so can stress, lack of exercise, menopause, eating too late, pets, etc. I love sleep, savor sleep, need sleep, can’t live without sleep.  So, yes, sleep!


Singing Habit - This is kind of a funny one that I've played with the last year or more. Singing, it's hard to stay stressed if you sing. So, whenever I was teaching

and things felt stressful I started singing whatever came to mind, whatever I needed to do next. Have you ever noticed how many phrases we say that come from songs? I can't help but start singing. So, I highly recommend!


Who knew there were so many habits to chat about?  LOL

Maybe you’re even indulging in a habit right now, the lovely habit of

reading :)  Yeah!  

I hope some of these make you laugh, maybe you'll want to try a couple or

you can tell me one I should try? Regardless, thank you

for indulging me. Cheers, Eileen

Comments