Visiting with Fresh Eyes

 Visiting with Fresh Eyes

In my quest to clean up and clean out, I have been visiting some old paintings.  Every artist has these the stack of canvases that you've started, don't like for whatever reason and abandon.  Sometimes you return to them but often, if they are out of sight they are out of mind (at least that is true for me).  Some are being donated or given away, some trashed because they are broken or torn.  Then, there are those that just need a little reimagining.  So, those are the ones I'm visiting with you today.  Hopefully, remind you of the tools in your toolbox and to revisit those old paintings and look at them with new eyes. This doesn't just apply to paintings, what in your life do you need to look at with fresh eyes?  



Here is a painting that I found in the stack.  I started this painting during one of the garden tours a couple of years ago.  I intended to return to it but there was much that bugged me about it, 
so I shelfed it.  
Upon looking again...
First step, identify the problem or what's not working and why.  What I didn't like: 1. color of bird houses 2. Fire pit 3. color cohesion So, I started with the first and biggest issue the birdhouses.  How does this relate to other problems?  Change what is easy and obvious first.  I changed their color and this immediately made the colors better and made very clear what wasn't working anymore. Often, when you shift or take action on one thing the next step or steps become much clearer. Next, I worked on the grassy area and the texture really brought life and by accident I added a lighter green but then I found I liked it and this made a nice circle.  Happy accidents exist and not just in art. Next, the pinks in the right corner were not working.  They were too bright and that color wasn't in the front of the painting enough, so I muted the color added a dark ground under the structure and brought some of that color to the front.  Last, I removed the fire pit.  I'm pretty happy with it now.  It's a fun painting that reminds me of that garden tour.  

Next painting - Crescent Valley Lavender Farm





I painted a watercolor of the farm when I was there in person but wanted to do an acrylic painting of their pretty gazebo.  Again, this is one that for whatever reason just wasn't working and needed some attention.  I didn't even have the gazebo in it.  So, I added that.  Fixed some of the trees in the background.  Next, big issue was the gazebo felt too loud and I was listening to a podcast where Nicholas Wilton spoke about adding a glaze.  So, that's what happened next.  I went in and added a glaze to the gazebo which immediately helped push the gazebo to the back of the painting which it desperately needed.  I punched up and mixed up the lavender it was looking a bit too uniform and I really wanted it to take center stage.  Last, I still didn't love the shape of the gazebo, so I redrew some parts and repainted.  Much better.  


Last one I've been reworking.  Sorry, no starting photo on this one but playing with liquid acrylic on this one because why not.

I hope this inspires you to look at a problem with new eyes. Feel free to share thoughts and experiences.



Comments

  1. Your writings are always so inspirational. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me to return to blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment