Selling Stuff and Art

Selling Household Stuff


Hi Everyone,  I thought I would document selling things because at some point you are probably going to want to sell some items.  I've been testing out different platforms so here's the low down on what I've encountered.  Feel free to comment and give me your thoughts and experiences because I think all of these are dependent on the items you post, timing, and luck.  

Some basic things to remember when posting:

1. Take good pictures and reduce the background clutter (this is both for the viewer and also for your safety).  If it is something odd or uncommon, put a common object next to it, so that people understand the size and scale of the item.  

2. Put all of the information you can - both in the description and any individual tabs that are provided; I recommend typing this up in a google doc and that way if you are posting on several platforms - you can copy and paste.  Measure twice - type once

3. All of it takes time and patience (I'm not the most patient person, so yeah) - best to be prepared going in - put on your patience cap and grab your measuring tape :) 

Craigslist: This is the original platform for selling items; I've been using this for 15 years or more.  It is a reliable platform for listing items to sell.  This is where the old dogs are.  (The reliable old men and women, who show up, at least most of the time) Some tips - DO NOT click show my phone number.  NEVER CLICK okay for others to contact you about other products, services or commercial interests.  When putting in an address: I put the cross streets only and make sure the map is close to your address.  I don't want to put more information than is needed.  People who are interested will email you and then you can give information or provide a phone number at that time.  Things I've had good results with are bikes and furniture.  I should also note that Craigslist has an app you can download to your phone and it's pretty simple.  Please note that you need to check your email frequently - since that's how people are contacting you.  Hey - great news, since posting this Craigslist app is updated and you can chat with potential buyers directly in their app.  Much easier than going to your email, yeah progress!

Facebook Marketplace:  I've had very unreliable results using this site, so not my favorite but it is pretty user friendly. If you are posting an item in several platforms I would use this if you are already using FB but otherwise, I might not bother.  Remember, you need to check Facebook to see who's interested.  I would however, post items your selling to your friend group instead (especially if it's occasionally) because you might be surprised.

Offer Up: This is an app that you download for your phone.  I'm going to be honest, I want to like this app and I have sold several things using it but there are many scammers following new users of this site, so use with care and when a warning comes up - follow what it says.  Don't give people your cell number!  This app allows you to email within the app and you will be notified when you have a message.  What I like about this app: 1. It shows you how many people have viewed your item 2. I like the format and the way it is set up - very easy to use  What I don't like: very few people have reliably picked items up.  This site allows you to rate the user after they've picked the item up, I would sell to those that have a higher rating if possible!  

Garage Sale:  I am going to put this on a separate post because I have lots of great information about this.  We just had a very successful garage sale, so I'll break it down for you.  :)  

Etsy and eBay are for more handmade or collectible items.  Our household has used both but those are a different type item, so I'll save that for another day.