Yearbook - 2021-2022

 Advising Yearbook - Overview

This is my third year advising yearbook and it gets better each year.  I love that I am able to select a group of middle school applicants and get to know them over the course of the school year(s).  We learn and grow as a group.  Each class has a different energy and you learn students strengths and preferences.  Students are chosen for and/or select from the following groups:

1. Layout and Design - This group is in charge of page layout and design.  Everyone works on at least a couple of pages but this group has a say in the "look" and layout.  They help work with students and oversee that process.

2. Advertising and Sales - We make lots of sale posters and advertisements through out the year both to our student body and to the parents; therefore, this group of students is in charge of this function.  

3. Big Picture - Proof reading - I like to have a group that loves the nitty gritty and gets to zoom out and look at the big picture items.  That's this groups focus.  The devil is always in the details.

4. Public Relations - These are my people lovers!  They interview and make sure that our book is inclusive of everyone in school.  They are in charge of coverage, interviews, and making sure all of our student body is represented.

All of my staff works on pages and photography. First, I want them all to have the experience and second because my students rotate through various sports and interests I've found it easiest to be flexible and ask students to volunteer to take pictures for sports and clubs.  Some are more naturally drawn to this and that's great too.

I have four editors, they are in charge of each group.  These are your go-to group of students; they are natural leaders and organizers.  A solid group of editors makes all run smoothly.  Please make sure that these students are good at communicating with you as the advisor.  I often choose editors at the end of each year.  The beauty of this is you know who your leaders will be from the start.  They help me determine who should be in each group as the next year begins.  We take our time with that decision.  There's plenty to do at the beginning of each school year, a huge part of that is getting to know each other and getting comfortable with Jostens software.

Timing of the yearbook.  There are 3 main deadlines in the creation of the book. It is finished about 2 months before the end of the school year in order to have it printed and delivered for distribution before the end of the year.  It's requires constant attention and work.

Our yearbook is created through Jostens.  I would not even try to put together a yearbook without them.  They're tools are seamless and more than you could ever need.  Their reps are amazing and responsive.  Last, the books are a great quality and meant to be kept for a lifetime.  I am not paid by them; this is just my opinion.

Here's a video of last years book:

 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yxgAPY_WM95YJ60_N6XREqAX6p9iJwVW/view?usp=sharing  

I have put a filter on most of the book so that students names and faces are not distinguishable; however, some of the pages I was able to keep and should give you a general idea of how the book is arranged.  I can add more about that process in another blog.  Please let me know if you are interested.  Thanks!