It's Official - I've been hired!

 The School Where I'll be teaching next year - 

    As you all know, I've been subbing this year.  I wanted to tell you why it's been so worthwhile.  First, it's shown me the landscape of the district and the schools.  It's shown me where I might fit and where it's just not right.  My first interview at the job fair I attended soon after arriving in Columbia - oddly has ended up being the school I will call home next year! (more on that below) However, there has been a very winding road between that first interview and being officially hired.  I thought I was going to be at a different elementary school but the Art Teacher decided to stay and I have to say that it was a true blessing.  I subbed in classrooms from ages K-12.  Walking into all of these various environments has strengthened many skills and shown me many ways of approaching teaching.  How the classroom layout and presentation matters.  How consistent rules and care for students shows in their behavior.  

    Getting all of the paperwork through the state has been the toughest part of this journey.  I didn't have my teaching license with the state of Washington, so I had several hoops to jump through and have more to go before being licensed here but I finally got through the paperwork to be hired.  References were called (thank you friends who helped with this; I could not have done this without you!) I passed the Praxis test, yes!  Then, received the official paperwork, hallelujah.

    So, without more chatting... Carver-Lyon Elementary a language immersion school for K-5 students will be my home for next year and fingers crossed for many years. The students learn Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, or French. Parents apply for their students to be enrolled in this public school.  I've been subbing there fairly regularly getting to know the students and staff; it's a pretty sweet place to be.  

    Therefore, if you ever find yourself moving across the country as a teacher and you can afford it; I highly recommend subbing to figure out where you fit best.

    Cheers, Eileen